Wednesday 29 May 2013

Made in Chelsea

Recently I have had the dubious pleasure of watching Made in Chelsea. It's on E4 at 10 pm every Monday. Usually I will have just finished writing the double episode review for Coronation Street and will have just posted it in time to watch Made in Chelsea.

Alarmingly, this programme has become my guilty pleasure and I watch each episode at least twice. I'm
trying to work out what its fascination is for me. To some degree I think I understand its power and appeal and there's nothing surprising in the revelation that it is always interesting to gain an insight into other people's lives. Though it has to be the case that to a significant extent the show is contrived, it seems that what the cast do is, again to some extent, natural. The way they speak and interact seems to be unplanned and largely unscripted.

BUT, though these young people are in their early, mid or even late twenties, they are hardly ever seen working, going to work, talking about work or having anything to do with work. They always seem free  to go off on holiday at the drop of a hat too. They decide one day and the next, off they go! So, obviously, this begs the question, where do they get their money from? The most likely source of their income is the bank of mum and dad. Of course, viewers may be infuriated by their apparent good luck, their privileged existence, their good fortune to live in London and frequent expensive and glamorous bars, clubs and restaurants, but I wonder if these apparently fortunate people ever think that it might be an idea to try to stand on their own two feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment