Wednesday 20 November 2013

November 22 - a Significant Date

It's hard not to notice all the newspaper and television commentary on the subject of the assassination of John F. Kennedy. This week, on Friday, November 22, it will be fifty years since JFK's motorcade arrived in Dallas and when, minutes afterwards, he was assassinated.

It might sound odd, but I feel I have much to thank JFK for. The connection is this - JFK was diagnosed with Addison's Disease, which, if left untreated is a killer. Low blood pressure will lead to a coma and death.  It is rare and the symptoms are rather non-specific. They include, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, breathing difficulties, a general weakness and headaches. JFK was presenting with all these symptoms. Eventually it was diagnosed and JFK was treated using the steroid hydrocortisone. It did the trick.

Addison's disease is a rare chronic condition brought about by the failure of the adrenal glands. which are positioned on top of the kidneys. The adrenal glands are critical in creating numerous hormones. Treatment is lifelong with regular monitoring and health checks.

I have Addison's Disease. I was finally diagnosed in January 2005 and whisked into hospital. Six days later I was out and the symptoms, thanks to the steroid hydrocortisone, had disappeared.

A 'cure' was discovered thanks to JFK - the President of the USA had to be mended, hence the connection I feel. Were it not for him, there might still not be a cure for Addison's Disease and I would not be writing this.

There is still more to say about November 22nd. In 1990, on that day, Margaret Thatcher resigned. Had I been able to, I would have jumped up and down. But I was giving birth on that day and at ten past one my third child, Daniel, was born - a post Thatcher baby.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment