Wednesday 27 November 2013

Possessions are a burden?

I'm having a clear-out. I have way too much stuff and it is starting to get me down. Owning so much stuff slows you down, it creates too much choice, which in turn creates dithering and uncertainty and time spent wondering whether I should wear the blue, the black, the grey and so on. Then which shoes would be best and then which bag? There, that's it. I have far too many shoes and bags, some of which I don't much like now and some of the shoes aren't even comfortable. These days, I must have comfort. Tottering and teetering and dying to take the shoes off are aspects of life that I am more than happy to leave in the past.

So, I'm turning to eBay, which I  used quite a lot a few years ago. Come the day when I have sold them all, or got fed up and taken them to the charity shop, I hope I will feel relieved (as well as richer)  that I have got rid of a lot of stuff. Minimalists say how much freer they feel, having gone over to the minimalist side and I can well believe it.

Mahatma Ghandi, along with other philosophers, thought that possessions were binding and that people would live more satisfying lives without possessions.

Try telling that to the floods of people pouring into Meadowhall, Cheshire Oaks, the Trafford Centre, Brent Cross and all the other huge shopping malls, the retail temples where we worship. After all, what would we do if we can't shop? 

No comments:

Post a Comment