Tuesday 13 March 2012

Have other people noticed how language is changing right before our eyes (or should that be ears?. Of course this has ever been the case and though many regret it and resent it there is nothing we can do to stop it.

What I've noticed recently is that people say, 'It's worser than I thought,' for example instead of using the standard English 'worse'.Also people are saying, 'it's more better like that' instead of using the standard just 'better' on its own. All very interesting. Have others also noticed how people are missing off the suffix -ed at the end of texted as in, 'He text me yesterday' rather than texted. This sort of thing often happens because text is easier to say than texted. This is a simple reason why language changes; it's language tidying itself up and becoming user friendly.

My golden cocker spaniel Duffy is lying in front of the fire without a care in the world, except for the whereabouts of the cats.

I'm trying to motivate myself to do some marking for my A level students but keep faffing about and not getting on with it. Totally ironic as I am constantly telling my students to stop procrastinating and to get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment