Saturday 17 March 2012

Posturing and showing off

I may be getting too cynical but today and in previous meetings I've felt annoyed by a certain group of my friends. It seems that the reason they want to meet is so that they have an audience to show off to. Some are more overt than others. Some do their showing off then say things such as, Oh dear, this sounds so ridiculously immodest.

My friends are in their 50s and 60s mainly but I do have younger friends too. I find the younger ones less boastful. I wonder why that is.
The boasts also centre around how much they love their children and how much their children love them. Tedious and transparent showing off.

The posturing involves making out how strongly they feel about certain issues. They are all purportedly left wing - easy enough when you're comfortably off and want for nothing. They would have you believe that they spend their days in a state of permanent outrage over Syria, Afghanistan or Iraq. Other issues too, which enrage them concerning our domestic policies. But it's false. I don't believe these posturers; they are really saying that they are compassionate people and care enormously about the poor, the racist treatment some have to bear and the homophobia encountered by many gay people on a regular basis. I believe they have a passing concern but when they say they are deeply upset, they exaggerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment