Tuesday 18 June 2013

The way in which people treat waiters.

I heard this yesterday in Pizza Express:-

Waiter: Hello, what can I get you ladies?

Woman 1: We haven't had time to decide. Come back in a bit.

Waiter: No problem. I'll be back in a few minutes.

A few minutes later :-

Waiter: Are you OK ladies? Ready to order?

Woman 2 : Yes, but fetch us some olives and bread first. Oh and we'll have a jug of tap water - with ice.

Waiter: No Problem

A few minutes later-:

Waiter:     There you go. Are you ready for me to take your order now?

Woman 1: Yes. We'll have a green salad and a red onion and tomato salad.

Woman 2: And we'll both have a pizza.

Woman 1: No, I'm going to have lasagne.

Waiter :    What sort of pizza would you like please?

Woman 2 : I'll have a calzone. But make sure the dough is properly cooked.

Well! I was absolutely appalled. These women were dressed up to the nines. They both had big hair, both yellowy blond and enough jewellery between them to stock a shop. They wore thick facial makeup and had deep tans on their bodily flesh, too much of which was on show. They spoke in loud voices, about other women - not a good word for any of them.

Throughout this exchange, the waiter remained unfailingly polite. It occurred to me that you can tell a lot about people by the way in which they treat waiters, shopkeepers or cleaners. To be rude to these people clearly shows a sense of misplaced superiority. These two women had an overdeveloped sense of entitlement, mixed with a large dose of arrogance. What was the point of dressing yourself up like a dog's dinner to behave like a pig in lipstick. (Cheers Barack for that comment). I would like to bet that these two women did not leave a tip.  

No comments:

Post a Comment